To ensure you receive an accurate record for your request and is processed expeditiously, please follow the steps outlined below:
- For all mail requests the only form of payment accepted are money order or cashier check payable to the City of Harlingen. (no personal or business checks)
- Because all fees are subject to change, a telephone number has been included in the following information for use in verifying the current fee.
- Type or print all names and addresses in the letter/or print and complete the application
- Give the following facts when writing for birth or death records:
1. Full name of person whose record is being requested.
3. Parent's names, including maiden name of mother.
4. Month, day, and year of birth or death.
5. Place of birth or death (city or town, county, and state; and name of hospital if known).
6. Purpose for which record is needed.
7. Relationship to person whose record is being requested.
8. Photocopy of I.D. (must be valid-/state driver license, state I.D., U.S. passport, military I.D. or permanent
resident alien card).
9. Physical mailing address (no P.O. Box).
10. Daytime telephone number, in case additional informationi is required.
11. Applicant's signature is required.
12. We do not mail any records outside the United States.
AT THE DISCRETION OF THE LOCAL REGISTRAR, ADDITIONAL DOCUMENT/S MAY BE REQUIRED TO ISSUE ANY RECORD.
Who Can Obtain a Birth/Death Record
Chapter 181. Vital Statistics
Section 181.1 Definitions
Immediate Family Member - The registrant, a member of his or her immediate family either by blood or marriage, his or her guardian, or his or her legal agent or representative.
Legal Representative - (personal representative or agent) - An attorney in fact, a funeral director, or any other person designated by affidavit, contract, or court order acting on behalf and for the benefit of the registrant or his or her immediate family. In order to determine the need for protection for personal property rights when the legal representative is acting on behalf and for the benefit of the registrant or the registrant's immediate family or other entity having a direct and tangible interest in the record, the state registrar, local registrar, or county clerk shall require a designation document or any attested statement to that effect.
Properly Qualified Applicant - The registrant, or immediate family member either by blood or marriage, his or her guardian, or his or her legal agent or representative. Local, state and federal law enforcement or governmental agencies and other persons may be designated as properly qualified applicants by demonstrating a direct and tangible interest in the record when the information in the record is necessary to implement a statutory provision or to protect a personal legal property right. A properly qualified applicant may also be any person who has submitted an application for a request to release personal information and has been approved as outlined in Sec. 181.11 of this tile (relating to Requests for Personal Data).
Confidentiality - A birth record is public information and available to the public on and after the 75th anniversary of the date on which the record is filed with the bureau of vital statistics or local registration official; and a death record is public information and available to the public on and after the 25th anniversary of the date on which the record is filed with the bureau of vital statistics or local registration official. (Sec. 552.115)
Fees Charged by the City of Harlingen, Vital Statistics
|Issuing each certified copy of a birth certificate is
|Issuing each wallet-sized
|Issuing each wallet-size or certification copy of birth with pouch
|Issuing a certified copy of a certificate of death is
|Issuing each additional certified copies of death certificate when requested at the same time is
FOR ANY SEARCH OF THE FILE WHERE A RECORD IS NOT FOUND, THE SEARCH FEE IS NOT REFUNDABLE OR TRANSFERABLE